Nelson Township, Ohio
 
Nelson Township, Portage County
P.O. Box 377 Garrettsville, Ohio 44231-0377
Phone 330-527-2415
Fax 330-527-0705

Community Services

                                                                        Cemeteries

There are five cemeteries in Nelson Township: Harrington Cemetery, Tinker Cemetery, Abbott Cemetery, Keiper-Tuller Cemetery & Kennedy Ledge Cemetery.


Harrington cemetery is the only one with lots available.

Click here for complete details. 


 

Community House Rental

     Nelson Community house was built in the 1850?s as a private high school. In 1914, the Nelson Township Trustees bought the former Nelson Academy Building for $1,200 to use as a community house.
   With help of the Literary Music Club (LMC), the Nelson Community House was remodeled to include a kitchen, dining rooms, meeting rooms and restrooms.
   Today, the Community House is used for community dinners & meetings, social organizations, township meetings and special events. It is currently under restoration under a grant to improve the energy efficiently of this community treasure. 
    
  
The LMC was founded in 1908 by Nelson resident, Olive Howell. During the early years the LMC was involved in a wide range of entertainment including stage shows at the Community House. The LMC supports community projects & recently bought paint which was used for redecorating the Community House dining room. They have also contributed to the current restoration project supplementing the grant money. The club is still active in the community with more than 50 members.

  
Click here for details on renting the Nelson Community House.